Q= Who do you have your greatest battle with?
A = My greatest battle is with ME!
The Bible teaches that we have three great foes to fight in the spiritual realm. We fight the World (Cosmos, ideas and philosophies), the Devil, and THE FLESH – my carnal nature left to me by Adam – rebellion, pride, selfishness. My greatest battle is not with the world philosophies or ideologies. My greatest battle is not even with the Devil himself. My greatest battle is with my own sinful nature.
Insights on the Battle Within Me.
- a) There is a daily duel taking place in my SOUL.
“The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intentions.“ – Galatians 5: 17-18, NLT
- b) A Duel is: “a conflict between two opponents to settle a point of HONOR.”
- It is the battle that is older than time. The battle between God and his most beautiful and powerful angel, Lucifer. Lucifer, the prince of the morning, became Satan, the prince of darkness when he tried to overthrow God. He wanted God’s honor. He then attacked God’s creation. Adam and Eve sinned and that nature has been passed on to us.
- c) The one I give honor to is revealed by my
” When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division, 21 envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these.
But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control.” – Galatians 5: 19-23, NLT
- d) I cannot eradicate my sinful nature, but I can have VICTORY over it.
“So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves….24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there.” – Galatians 5:16 and 24, NLT
How to Honor God with My Life and Live in Victory
- a) Understand the Setting for the Battle
Now these things became our examples… – 1 Corinthians 10:6, NKJV
Now Amalek came and fought with Israel in Rephidim. 9 And Moses said to Joshua, “Choose us some men and go out, fight with Amalek. Tomorrow I will stand on the top of the hill with the rod of God in my hand.” 10 So Joshua did as Moses said to him, and fought with Amalek. And Moses, Aaron, and Hur went up to the top of the hill. 11 And so it was, when Moses held up his hand, that Israel prevailed; and when he let down his hand, Amalek prevailed. 12 But Moses’ hands became heavy; so they took a stone and put it under him, and he sat on it. And Aaron and Hur supported his hands, one on one side, and the other on the other side; and his hands were steady until the going down of the sun. 13 So Joshua defeated Amalek and his people with the edge of the sword.
14 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Write this for a memorial in the book and recount it in the hearing of Joshua…-Exodus 17:8-14, NKJV
- Notice the symbolism between Israel’s exodus and the Christian life:
Hebrew people= (CHRISTIANS); Egypt= ( SIN); Pharaoh= (SATAN); Lamb= (JESUS CHRIST); Red Sea = (JUDGMENT); Manna = (WORD of GOD); Water = (HOLY SPIRIT); Promised Land= (HEAVEN); Wilderness= (LIFE);
Amalek =_Old Nature – Flesh
- Who was Amalek? He was the grandson of Esau. Abraham, the Jewish Patriarch had a son named Isaac, and Isaac had twin boys, Jacob and Esau. The Bible says, “God loved Jacob and hated Esau” (Rom 9:13) Why? We will talk about that next week. To give you a clue, Jacob loved the things of God, and Esau despised God. Esau was a profane man and is a picture of our human nature bent toward sin. My flesh is at war with my spirit that hungers for God.
- When and Where does Amalek attack?
Learn this lesson on Amalek…
- Biggest attacks come after my biggest BLESSINGS – vs. 8
- Rephidem = “rest”
- I’m tempted most where I am
“Remember what Amalek did to you on the way as you were coming out of Egypt, 18 how he met you on the way and attacked your rear ranks, all the stragglers at your rear, when you were tired and weary; and he did not fear God.” – Deuteronomy 25:17-18, NKJV
This is the strategy of Amalek (your Flesh)
How do we honor God and live in victory? We…
b) DUEL it out everyday
- 1. D epend on God. – vs. 9
- Rod of God = Power of God.
“Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’
Says the Lord of hosts.” -Zechariah 4:6, NKJV
- Unending Prayer. – vs. 10-12
- Aaron was the Priest of God. One of the main duties of a priest was intercession.
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; – Philippians 4:6
pray without ceasing. ‘- Thessalonians 5:17
Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.” – Matthew 26:41
- Engaging Worship. – vs. 10-12
- Worship demands SURRENDER, acknowledges my DEPENDENCE on God and declares my ADORATION and THANKFULNESS.
in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. – 1 Thessalonians 5:18, NKJV
Oh come, let us sing to the Lord! Let us shout joyfully to the Rock of our salvation. – Psalm 95:1, NKJV
Living Pure. – vs. 10-12
- Hur means “Whiteness, Pure”
Who may ascend into the hill of the Lord? Or who may stand in His holy place?
4 He who has clean hands and a pure heart,–Psalm 24:3-4, NKJV
Do not lay hands on anyone hastily, nor share in other people’s sins; keep yourself pure. -1 Timothy 5:22, NKJV
Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. -2 Timothy 2:22, NKJV
Now look at vs. 14 again. God commanded this lesson to be written in a book and read to Joshua in the future. Why? Because Joshua was about to lead the Jewish people and there were more battles to come.
These principles are not just for one battle, they are to be implemented every single day…”generation to generation…”
* Depend on God; Unending Prayer; Engage in Worship; Live Pure